Smooth locomotion: a dream come true with the 3dRudder
You know Skyrim VR is now available on Steam VR, but did you know you can do strafing while fighting to dodge attacks thanks to the 3dRudder foot-controller?
Without the 3dRudder
Skyrim is one of the most successful and respected video game franchises of the past decade. The game enjoyed outstanding critics from both the press and the players for its stunning atmosphere, gameplay, story and characters. Now that it's been released on Steam VR, HTC Vive and Oculus Rift owners will be able to enjoy a nice walk in the snowy mountains of Skyrim. You know there's a but coming, don't you? First one is, rotation is kind of hectic. Second is, movements are hand-driven, meaning you can't move while fighting or just dodge attacks within the limits of your room-scale. Now if you use the 3dRudder, you get a serious upgraded experience.
With the 3dRudder
Playing Skyrim VR with the 3dRudder litterally upgrades your experience. We implemented our own exclusive smooth rotation which is a huge improvement for immersion, and significantly reduces motion sickness some users could otherwise experience. Then, for those of you who are up to some tweaking, we switched from hand-oriented to head-oriented movement. Consequence? You can combine motion with interaction: you move in the game with slight pressure of your feet on the 3dRudder and keep your hands free to fight with the bow or sword and cast spells. Yes, you can walk forward and shoot arrows simultaneously. Watch the video!
How to set it up?
Here's how to play Skyrim VR via Steam VR with the 3dRudder and our exclusive configuration: we've used our special smooth rotation feature to enhance the experience and reduce motion sickness.
Playing with HTC Vive
- In the 3dRudder Dashboard, go to the games tab, select Skyrim VR in the HTC Vive list, and click Activate. This sends the parameters to the 3dRudder
- Launch the game (you can launch it indifferently before or now)
Playing with Oculus Rift
- Launch the Skyrim VR
- In the 3dRudder Dashboard, go to the games tab, select Skyrim VR in the Oculus Rift list, and click Activate. This send the parameters to the 3dRudder
Adjust your height in the game at any moment. Just move the slider "height offest" to the right to be higher, to the left to be smaller.
Sit down, put your feet on the 3dRudder, grab your VR gear and play!
How to upgrade your experience
Skyrim VR was designed with hand-oriented motion, which implies that you go where your hands point at: not very convenient when you fight because you cannot easily do strafing to dodge attacks.
What we did is we tested a tweak to switch to head-driven movements (it's not ideal but it makes Skyrim VR much better). Here is how to proceed:
Click here to access the Skyrim VR configuration tool.
It’s possible to search the name of the property in the Filter area and double click on the value to change it.
It’s also possible to change the property in the text file by clicking on Edit INIs Directly.
When the changes had been made you can start the game with the button Play Game.
The tweak you have to do are :
- implement HMD-driven motion: bUseWandDirectionalMovement = 0
- change bow's pitch: fBowRotationPitch = -10
It’s also possible to change the quality of the render, especially the Temporal Anti Aliasing:
- add the value sStartingConsoleCommand=TAA hf .7 in the file Skyrim.ini in the section [General] (if this one don’t exist create it)
- use the Super Sampling in Steam with 1.5 or better 2.0 according to the power of your computer.
Or should it proves unstable you can deactivate it :
- Add the value sStartingConsoleCommand=TAA hf .000001 in the file Skyrim.ini in the section [General] (if this one don’t exist create it).
Now rest your feet on the 3dRudder, put your headset on, grab your hand controllers on and enjoy!